Being healthy and feeling well

Information about free physical and mental health services, support and groups.

We want all of our children in care and care leavers to be physical healthy and feel emotionally supported.

There are lots of different services which can help you to do this. Some are confidential, and you can contact them yourself. For others, you may need your social worker's or key worker's support to make a referral.

See the range of services who can help you feel your best, below.

If you need urgent medical help outside of normal working hours (Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm) you can find out where to go here: Find urgent treatment centres - NHS (

You can also get medical advice 24 hours a day calling 111 from any phone. They will ask you about how you are feeling and give advice as to what to do, or where to go to get the help you need.

All children in care and care leavers should be registered with local health services in the area in which you live.

Your keyworker or social worker can help you find local services and make appointments. 

However, you can also find your local Doctor by using this website: Find a GP - NHS ( 

To find a local NHS dentist, speak to your social worker or key worker, or use this website: Find a dentist - NHS ( 

Anyone up to the age of 18 years can get a free eye test. Find a local optician here: Sight Tests - NHS (

Some people over the age of 18 years might still be to get free eye tests, and you can find out more about this here: Free NHS eye tests and optical vouchers - NHS (

NHS APP NHS Go is a confidential health advice and information service for 16-25 year olds: 

There are several sexual health agencies that can provide you with confidential support and advice. These include:

CHYPS Plus – The House
For young people aged 11-19 years.
Clifden Centre
Homerton University Hospital
E9 6SR

Tel: 0207 683 7176/0208 510 7176


City of London Family Therapy Clinic
Speak with your social worker if you would like to discuss this service.

For young people up to the age of 25 years.  
For information, please visit the website:  

British Pregnancy Advice Service (BPAS)
Open to all ages
For information, please visit the website:

Tel: 03457 30 40 30

Marie Stopes
Open to all ages; providing advice and support around pregnancy options
For information, please visit the website:

The City of London will cover the cost of any prescriptions until you are 21 years old. Ask your social worker to find out more. 

If you are over 21 years and not currently able to get free prescriptions can apply for a pre-payment certificate (PPC), so that you do not need to pay for medication prescribed by your Doctor.

This will be purchased from the NHSBSA website and will be valid for either 1 year or three months.

More information about pre-payment certificates can be found on the NHSBSA website:

Please discuss with your social worker, if you want to apply.

Whilst your physical health is very important, your emotional health and wellbeing is just as important. There are times when we all need a little extra support to cope. There are a number of services which you can access  

City and Hackney Wellbeing Network is available to all City children in care and care leavers even if you don’t live in the City. You can get in touch via the below details.

Tel: 020 8525 2301

Freephone: 0800 612 6585



We’re here to support adult asylum seekers | Helplines (

The Helpline will offer advice, signposting, emotional support and 8 free sessions of therapy by qualified Barnardo’s therapists. These sessions can take place remotely via telephone or online.

Barnardo’s has a long history of providing mental health support to children, young people and adults and has a large pool of culturally informed therapists who speak a range of languages. Sessions can take place in your own language at a time that works for you.

Every Child Protected Against Trafficking (ECPAT) offers fully funded unlimited one-to-one and group mentoring support for young people aged 16 – 25 years who live in London who have or may have been victims of trafficking or exploitation. 

Visit Supporting young people | ECPAT UK or call: 020 7607 2136 or speak with your social worker.  

Our clinic specialises with working children, young people and their families/carers when they are experiencing difficulties in school or at home. We work with a wide range of issues experienced by children and young people in a variety of relationships.

As Family therapists, we work with children, young people and those important to them, supporting them to find ways to listen to each other so they can find a solution to difficulties. We do not look for blame, but work on the strengths you have whilst understanding the difficulties you may feel.

Family therapy can be helpful in many circumstances and has been known to work well for many difficulties including depression, substance misuse, adjusting to physical illness, relationship distress, and recovery from previous domestic violence. We are a multicultural team and the clinic will provide a translator, if needed.

Kooth is a free, anonymous, online counselling and emotional wellbeing service. Kooth has no referrals or thresholds, and you can register independently at 

Samaritans is a free confidential and emotional support helpline for anyone in a crisis. Call 116 123 or visit 

The Mix provides support on a range of topics for young people aged 11 – 25 years, find out more at Get Support - The Mix 

Young Minds is a charity which supports young people’s mental health visit them at 

Being treated differently or unfairly because of our race, skin colour or ethnicity can negatively affect our mental health. Here's some information on how to get help if you've experienced racism.

Racism and mental health | How To Deal With Racism | YoungMinds