Personal budgets

A personal budget is intended to give young people and their parents or carers greater choice and control over the care and support services they receive.

A personal budget is the amount of money a local authority or Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) considers necessary to support the educational, health or social care needs of children or young people from birth up to age 25 with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND).

The amount that you get will depend on the needs and outcomes identified in the child’s or young person's Education Health and Care (EHC) plan. The funding is reviewed annually, and amended as the individual’s needs and outcomes change.

You can email the SEND Team for more information. Alternatively, you can contact the Personal Health Budget Team at NEL Commissioning Support Unit

  • 020 3688 1000

Do you need to have a personal budget?
No. Personal budgets are not mandatory. The choice to request one is entirely up to you.

A young persons guide to Personal Budgets by KIDS Charity

All parents, carers and young people can request a personal budget when their:

  • EHC plan is being prepared
  • EHC plan is being reviewed

Decisions on eligibility and the amount of a personal budget will be made by the City of London’s SEND panel.

Please note: You must have an EHC plan to qualify for a personal budget for education. However, a child or young person may be eligible for a personal budget for health and social care support without having an EHC plan if they have:

  • received a social care or Early Help assessment determining the need for support such as short break provision
  • an approved health plan to meet complex health needs

You can use a personal budget to pay for support in a mainstream setting where the setting would have to make exceptional, one-off arrangements to meet the child or young person’s needs. This is likely to focus on supporting those with the most complex learning support needs.

Personal budgets cannot be used to:

  • fund a nursery, school or college place
  • purchase resources or services that a setting already provides
  • Home to school transport - if you meet that criteria

You can use a personal budget to fund provision needed to manage the complex health needs of:

  • 0-18 year olds eligible for continuing care support
  • 18 years and over eligible for continuing health care support

For more on personal budgets, please read Understanding Personal Health Budgets on the NHS website.

Social Care
You can use a personal budget if a child or young person is assessed by the City of London’s Children and Family team as needing additional and individual support at home or in the wider community. This is usually done through short breaks provision. 

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability
  • They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements.

The DLA rate is between £23.60 and £151.40 a week and depends on the level of help the child needs.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is being replaced by Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for disabled people.

You can only apply for DLA if you’re over 16. You can apply for:

  • PIP if you’re aged 16 or over and have not reached State Pension age
  • Attendance Allowance if you’re State Pension age or older and do not get DLA

If you already get DLA, your claim might end. You’ll get a letter telling you when this will happen and how you can apply for PIP.