A wide range of health services are available to meet the health and wellbeing requirements of everyone.

Children and young people in the City of London who have Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) may be entitled to support via the City of London’s Short Breaks offer.

The City and Hackney Clinical Commissioning Group and the Tower Hamlets Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) offer a number of services to SEND families.

The CCGs are responsible for commissioning (planning, designing and paying for) your NHS services. In addition to this there are also NHS trusts, which run the hospitals, community and mental health services and a number of NHS trusts in neighbouring boroughs.

There are also things you can try at home to support the development of 

  • speech, language and communication
  • learning difficulties and/or disabilities
  • hearing and/or sight loss needs
  • fine and gross motor skills

If you would like help from a professional, you can:


A good place to start is by seeing your GP. They can advise you on next steps and signpost you to other services. If your child has a known learning disability, annual checks start from age 14.

They can help you with health and development in children (0-5).

Our friendly and local centre offers support to children (0-11) and provides a range of services to support the whole family. They have speech and language drop-in sessions for children (2-5).

They can tell you about services for wellbeing, and check on your child's wellbeing during school. 

You can ask for help from this team if your child or young person has physical needs. 

They can refer you to educational psychologists, if required.